2018 summer vacation in Kigali is here! Time for refreshing sweet treats, hours of playing outdoors, and fun adventures. With school being out, your children may have more energy than can be used up in a day. The good news there is something that will use up all of your kids energy, have an endless list of activities, and give your kids fun-filled memories: summer camp! Check this great list of summer camps in Kigali!Read More
Thanksgiving is quickly approaching this Thursday, November 23. For all the American expats in Kigali, give thanks at one of Kigali's local celebrations featuring all your favorite dishes from home.
12,000 RWF/child ages 6-12
Includes one drink (wine, beer, juice or smoothie)
Dinner starts at 7PM
Reservations only - e-mail or call 078 838 2581
- Creamy squash soup
- Caesar salad
- Orange molasses glazed turkey with stuffing
- Vegetarian stuffing
- Green bean casserole
- Roasted sweet potatoes with praline
- Caramelized onions, potato gratin with sage
- Mac and cheese
- Apple pie
Includes 1 cocktail, glass of wine or local beer
Reservations at 4PM, 6PM, 8PM
Call 0788 486 581
- Cauliflower and ginger soup
- Organic garden-fresh salad
- French bean salad
- Slow roasted turkey roulade with red wine gravy
- Creamy buttery mashed potatoes
- Pumpkin and spinach lasagna
- Cinnamon and Rwandan honey roasted sweet potatoes
- Whole grain sausage stuffing
- Baked cauliflower cheese
- Sauteed carrots and fennel with honey and mandarin
- Mixed greens with herb butter
- Pumpkin pie
- Apple tart tatin
- Chocolate mousse
- Vanilla bean custard
Call 0783 419 980 or 0789 966 006 for reservations
- Roasted ginger and pumpkin soup
- Grilled garlic n herb bread
- Arugula avocado and orange salad
- Apple and raisin red cabbage slaw
- Green beans and bacon salad
- Whole roasted rosemary and mustard turkey with black pepper gravy
- Cajun fried crushed potatoes
- Sauteed broccoli with toasted macadamia nuts
- Thyme flavored mashed sweet potatoes
- Homemade whole grain bread and pilipili
- Sausage stuffing
- Smoke turkey spaetzle
- Medley of roasted root vegetables
- Apple and cinnamon tart
- Spiced pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream
- Warm bananas and chocolate brownie
- Cocktail fruit custard
Flexible options for children
7PM-11PM at SOKO Restaurant
- buffet featuring Thanksgiving classics and favorites
Includes a glass of sparkling wine
7PM-11PM at Milima Restaurant
- SUMMER UPDATE -
There's still time to sign your kids up for a summer camp. Here are some creative, fun and engaging activities and camps for your children.
- SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS -
Have your kids attended one of these camps? Let us know what you thought about it. Did your kids enjoy it? Would you send them again?
Active Courage Summer Camp Series
Location: Kigali International Community School, Gacuriro (not affiliated or sponsored by KICS)
+250 789 451 335
Run by qualified coaches
For boys and girls ages 5-14
- June 5-9 - Football
- June 12-16 - Outdoor
- June 19-23 - Football
- June 26-30 Basketball
- July 3-7 Football
Weekly Swimming camp available in the afternoons for beginner, intermediate and advanced swimmers! Devotion is held daily.
- 60,000 RWF/weekly session
- 50,000 RWF/ weekly session for Early Registration (Friday before weekly session starts)
- Payment can be made at the KICS front desk from 9AM-3PM
City Arts Kigali is offering three weeks of fun activities including performing arts, fine arts and even some swimming class with a former Dutch swimming champion!
- Week 1: 17- 21 July 2017
- Week 2: 24- 28 July 2017
- Week 3: 31 July - 4 August 2017
+ TWO ADDITIONAL WEEKS ADDED:
- Week 4: 7 - 11 August 2017
- Week 5: 14 - 18 August 2017
- Swimming: With France Kohl, a Dutch former swim champion
- Crafts and Jewelry: With "More than Sparrows" for the smaller ones and Sarah Legrand for the older ones
- Theater: This class comprise a variety of puppet theater, shadow plays, magic and a introduction to theater play with Jimmy Swaelens, who is a theater pedagogue.
- Modern African Dance and Hip Hop classes with award winning professionals from Burundi and DR Kongo
- Singing: With a musically educated solo singer and pedagogue
- Young group: Weekly fee 40,000 FRW, daily fee 12,000.
- Older group: Weekly fee: 70,000 FRW, daily fee 18,000.
- Drop in fee / hour (any age group): 5,000 FRW for dance classes and 7,000 FRW for the jewelry making and screen printing classes, which require good materials to work with.
- Swim entrance fee for activities of Week 1 is not included in the weekly fee and is 2,000 FRW per kid per entry (i.e. 4,000 FRW for participants of the younger group / 6,000 for participants of the older group).
Please sign up by sending an email to email@example.com and indicating 1) the week number, 2) number of children enrolling and 3) their age before 15 June, while it would help to receive an indication as soon as possible. You may please proceed with payment modalities to the City Arts account by 7 July.
Green Hills Academy
Registration is open now! Places are limited. First come, first served. To register, contact Green Hills Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Summer Mandarin Chinese Immersion Program
For 5th-12th Grade Students
July 3-14, 2017
9AM-4PM each day
Basketball Boot Camp for Boys
June 12-17, 2017
Basketball Boot Camp for Girls
July 3-8, 2017
Basketball Play & Go for All
For Boys and Girls
June 19-30, 2017 and July 10-28, 2017
6-12 years - 9AM-1PM
13-17 years - 2PM-5:30PM
100,000 RWF for June or July session
Swimming or Football
June 12-30, 2017
6-12 years - 9AM-1PM
13-17 years - 2PM-5:30PM
Judo or Traditional Dance
July 3-28, 2017
6-12 years - 9AM-1PM
13-17 years - 2PM- 5:30PM
Nursery Summer Camp
June 12- July 28, 2017
3-6 years - 8AM-1:10PM
Thousand Hills Rugby
Rugby Match + Children's Activities
Every Umuganda day and June 4, 2017
Gatenga Youth Centre
- Under 14 Rugby tournament
- Rugby coaching and training
- Modern dancing
- Facepainting and more!
Rugby Festival + Children's Activities
August 26, 2017
Gatenga Youth Centre
STEM Summer Camp with The Maranatha Academy
The Maranatha Academy are running a STEM summer camp to cultivate your child's curiosity and desire to learn. Age groups 2-6 years.
Dates: 5th - 11th August
Time: 08h00 - 13h00 Monday - Friday
Fee: 180,000 Frw for full 6 week camp or 40,000 Frw per week*
*10% discount on more than one child.
Guest Facilitators: Laura Baynard, USA and Jeanette Wade, USA
Join TMA's fun STEM summer camp to cultivate your child's curiosity, desire to explore and learn! Science, Technology, Engineering and Math are the way of the future, and your child's future starts now! The Camp's engaging activities and experiments will introduce children to key concepts that they shall build on in later years.
Discovery International Preschool
- 85,000 RWF for 3 weeks (July 10th to 28th July 2017)
- 140,000 RWF - for 6 weeks (July 10th to August 18th 2017)
- Ages 2 to 10 years
- French or English sections are available
- Swimming and piano are available as optional add-ons (RWF 80,000 for either one)
- Spacious playground and 10 large rooms for indoor activities and projects
- Discounts available for siblings
- 10% discount for all June registrations
- Send an email, call or visit to register your child
- Les vacances enrichies commenceront le 10 Juillet 2017
- Il y aura des activités artistiques, des expériences scientifiques, des jeux de lecture, lecture d’album, le karaté, la dance et beaucoup d'autres activités sportives variées.
- D'autres activités supplémentaires seront à votre disposition: les cours de piano et la natation.
- Toute activité mise en place aura des objectifs langagiers bien spécifiques pour renforcer les acquis de l'enfant.
- Chaque parent aura le choix de la langue (Français ou Anglais). Ceci dépendra du besoin de son enfant.
Looking for the right spot to catch up on a few e-mails while the kids enjoy a nice treat? Kigali's great cafe culture will get you your next caffeine boost and be fun for the entire family!
Inzora Rooftop Cafe
+250 789 539 764
Tucked away behind Ikirezi Bookstore, Inzora is a Kigali favorite serving sustainable, local coffee and teas, freshly baked treats, and fair trade goods. Upstairs you'll find beautiful views of Kigali and downstairs young visitors will find a fun play area.
Photo Credit: Living in Kigali & Inzora Cafe
Iriba Bar and Terrace
KN 3 Avenue
The beautiful outdoor terrace at the recently opened Kigali Marriott Hotel, has comfy seating and lots of outdoor space for children to play and enjoy the fresh air while you sneak in a cup of coffee (or a cheeky cocktail!)
Photo Credits: Iriba Bar and Terrace
KK 25 Ave
J.Lynn's serves coffee, donuts, bagels and other great treats for you to enjoy in their outdoor hangout spots. Tucked away in Kicukiro you'll find a large playground for children.
Rooftop, Kigali Public Library
+250 788 350 530
Borrow a children's book from the Kigali Public Library and then grab a coffee to-go from Shokola upstairs. Bring them both down to the garden to let the kids play or snuggle up with a nice afternoon read.
Thank you to all the moms and dads who participated in our recent survey on your favorite activities for young children (ages 1-7) in Kigali. The results are in and the parents of Kigali have spoken! This list is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to wonderful activities to keep your children entertained in Kigali (we'll be sharing more soon!).
Vow to never have another boring day in our amazing city and head out now to discover these amazing, active adventures.
10. Heaven Restaurant & Inn Playground
7 KN 29 St
+250 788 486 581
Heaven’s restaurant, custom-built by local craftspeople, showcases Rwandan arts and crafts and serves an international menu for lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch. With a special menu just for kids, Heaven welcomes families and encourages them to dine and lounge on their shaded terrace or run and play on the outdoor playground.
9. City Arts Classes
4 KG 670 St
With creative classes for children and adults, City Arts offers ballet, art, yoga and creative writing and serves as a local community arts center. Check out their latest calendar on their Facebook page for details on classes and events.
8. Pili Pili – Sandbox and Pool
A growing favorite amongst families in Kigali, Pili Pili has something to offer for both parents and kids. With outdoor dining and drinks, kids can play in the sandbox or splash in the pool. Parents too can enjoy a swim or catch a sports game on the restaurant’s large television. Although with comfy daybeds for lounging and an amazing view over the city, you won’t need the big screen for entertainment.
7. Fazenda Sengha Horse Farm
Located on Mt. Kigali, Nyamirambo
Open everyday except Tuesday from 9am - 7pm
+250 78 440 6340
Fazenda Sengha offers private professional horseback riding lessons, including trail rides through the beautiful hills around Mount Kigali. Riders of all levels are welcome with children as young as six able to ride a horse on their own. Younger children can also ride if they are led, supervised, or instructed within an enclosed area on the farm. Not interested in horseback riding? Sengha also offers archery lessons for children 14 and up, a trampoline, and a state-of-the-art barbecue grill perfect for picnics overlooking the valley.
6. Spiderman Game Center
M. Peace Plaza
KN4 AV10, Nyarugenge, Kigali
+250 78 715 77 98
In addition to a variety of games which simulate car racing, airplane flights and basketball, the Spiderman Game Center features a padded play area, ball pit and carousel for children. Parents and friends can enjoy a meal, coffee, or dessert in the gated child-friendly space. You can also book the space for private parties and events.
5. Playground at Mamba Club
KG 680 St
+250 07 884 517 34
Mama Club was recently voted the best hostel in Rwanda by Hoscar and with a 6 lane bowling alley, small swimming pool, ping pong table, foosball table, billiards and an outdoor volleyball court it's no surprise that it made it on our top 5 list. The real favorite of parents and kids? The large outdoor playground which in addition to traditional playground equipment boasts an in-ground trampoline frequented by tourists and locals alike.
4. Playground at La Palisse Hotel
only 500 meters from Kigali International Airport
M-F 8AM-8PM, Sat & Sun 7:30AM - 8:30PM
+250 07 883 855 05
The huge outdoor playground and grass area at La Palisse Hotel are the perfect spot to organize play dates and picnics. Just near the hotel's basketball court and volleyball court, there's plenty to do at La Palisse for children (and adults!) of all ages.
3. Play Area at Bamboo Chinese
5/F KN 82 St
Avenue de Commerce
Daily, 10am – 10pm
+250 07 860 066 65
Just one of the restaurant play areas in T2000 which makes our top activities list. This time with a play area, Chinese cuisine, and beautiful rooftop views. Drop by for lunch or dinner and enjoy this fantastic indoor playground in Kigali's city centre.
2. Pool at Umubano Hotel
4 KG 7 Ave
+250 07 881 360 00
Formerly known as the Novotel Hotel, the spacious outdoor pool at the Umubano Hotel is a favorite weekend spot amongst families in Kigali. With plenty of lounge chairs, umbrellas and a weekly Sunday barbecue brunch, the pool at Umbano Hotel is the perfect place to spend the day swimming and splashing.
1. Play area at Monaco Cafe
G/F, KN 82 St
Avenue de Commerce
+ (250) 07 827 566 06
Inside T2000 is one of Kigali's hidden treasures and the #1 activity for children under 7 as voted by parents in Kigali. At the back of the Monaco Cafe you'll find a large play area complete with everything from multiple slides and swings to a ball pit and lots of padded play space for kids to run, jump, and climb all afternoon.