If you are wondering how you can make homemade yogurt with ingredients easily available in Kigali, we've brought you the answer!
- 2/3 Litres of Milkzone milk
- Yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- Warm the milk on a stove. Keep the heat to 45 degrees Celsius.
- When you reach 45 degrees, whisk in half a cup of the yogurt.
- Add 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Pour the yogurt into glass jars until 95% full, and seal.
- Store the jars somewhere warm. You may want to put towels around them to keep them warm.
- Wait 8-12 hours and voila!
Photo Credits: Lay the Table, Once Upon a Chef and Lefty Spoon
Tips and tricks:
- To make Greek style yogurt, strain the mixture through a cheesecloth for a few hours.
- To make Cream cheese, strain it for 24 hours.
- To make sour cream, add lemon juice when you've completed your mixture.
Once you've made your own yogurt, you can use this as the starter yogurt for 3 or 4 times. Afterwards, the culture will be unusable and you'll need to buy stored yogurt again.